Use Tea to Soothe Your Sunburn
One method that helps to relieve sunburns is a more natural one that involves boiling up a pot of tea to soak over the sunburn. Yes, we know it seems a little strange, but a tea remedy is actually very soothing and helps ease the pain of a sunburn greatly. Both black and green teas contain tannic acid, which is what helps cool down your skin.
After boiling up the tea, allow it to cool completely down before applying it to the burned areas of your skin. After the tea cools, you simply use a sponge to wet the infected areas. Make sure the sponge you use is soft and not rough, or it could possibly irritate your sunburn even worse. It’s best to apply this tea remedy after waking up in the mornings, or before you go to bed at night. We recommend just doing it when you plan to take a shower or bath.
Keep in mind that this tea will stain cloth, so make sure to use older cloths and towels. Most people tend to have great relief from the burning after applying the tea just one time. A noticeable difference in redness will probably be noticed as well. If you are not satisfied with the results of using the tea once, it is safe to use this remedy as many times as you like.
Sunburn Relieving Tea Instructions
Here are the step by step instructions for making and using this tea.
- Brew a large pot of some very strong black or green tea. Green tea will most likely work the best; it contains very strong anti-oxidants which help the inflammation and redness the sunburn has caused to your skin. The anti-oxidants also help protect your skin cells from the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- After brewing the tea, let it cool completely down. Refrigerate the tea to speed this step up if you wish.
- If you have a large, full body sunburn, then the easiest way to use this tea is to pour it into a halfway full bathtub of lukewarm water. Relax and soak in the tub water after applying the tea for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the tub water becomes cold.
- If you have smaller areas of sunburn, try using a clean sponge or cloth to gently soak the burned area. As mentioned earlier, make sure the sponge or cloth is soft and not rough in order not to disturb the burn further.
- Another way to use this tea is to put the tea into a spray bottle and gently spray the burned areas. This method allows you to easily save the tea, as you can just store the spray bottle in your refrigerator until your sunburn heals. Do not use the tea after a week. This is also great for those going on vacation, as you can make this spray bottle at home before you leave and just store it in the cooler on the trip there. Be careful with this method though, as mentioned above this tea will stain clothing and other cloth materials.